Saturday, August 25, 2012

Survival Activity


Survival Activity

1. The activity I completed over the last two days was that we were given 11 items and we had to rank them    1-11 in order of importance in a survival situation. Then, we went into separate groups and discussed group rankings which we compared with the rest of the class. We used the class group rankings as data and found the mean, median, and range of the data. Our group used the data and discussed the items that were ranked the same by every group, ranked differently by every group, and used statistics to justify our answers. Then, we were told an expert's rank and we found the absolute difference between the expert and our personal rank. Our class discovered in the end that the closer your absolute value difference was to zero the better your personal ranks were was to the expert's opinion. 

2. Our group was pretty average in how well we would have survived. Our group's average for our absolute value difference was 2.54. I did this by using our group ranks and taking the absolute value difference of those ranks compared to the expert's rank. I believe that is average compared to the expert's average absolute difference of zero. The closer your absolute value difference is to zero, the better your group would have survived.

3. As an individual, I believe I was pretty average in how I survived. My average absolute value difference was 2.72. I did better with my group than I did as an individual but I believe that my average was higher because I ranked the cigarette lighter as 11, while the expert ranked it 1. The bigger the absolute differences were between my personal rank and the expert rank made my average higher like the small ax. 


No comments:

Post a Comment